France: Probe of candidate Fillon advances

France: Probe of candidate Fillon advances

The move comes a week after the prosecutor said the matter could not be dropped, because the office had received a police report. The allegations started when Le Canard Enchainé newspaper published reports that Fillon’s wife and and two of his adult children earned nearly 1 million euros ($1.08 million) as parliamentary assistants, but didn’t show up for work. The 62-year-old Fillon has rejected the claims and insists that he has “nothing to hide.” He has said his wife worked for 15 years, as his “deputy,” carrying out several roles,…

Read More

Kyrgios into Marseille semi-finals

Kyrgios into Marseille semi-finals

Posted February 25, 2017 10:21:30 Photo: Nick Kyrgios has kept alive his hopes of defending his Marseille crown with a quarter-final win. (AAP: Tony McDonough, File) Defending champion Nick Kyrgios has made light work of Norbert Gombos to reach the Open 13 semi-finals in Marseille, beating the Slovakian qualifier 6-3, 6-3 in less than an hour. The third-seeded Kyrgios hit 15 aces and lost just six points on his serve to set up a first career meeting against second-seed Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. “I thought I served and returned really well today,”…

Read More

Florence's famed Duomo encourages digital graffiti

Florence's famed Duomo encourages digital graffiti

Posted February 24, 2017 06:52:51 Photo: An example of the digital graffiti being created at Florence’s famed Duomo. (AP: Opera di Santa Maria del Fiore) Related Story: Street art brings vibrancy to Christchurch after deadly quake Florence’s famed Duomo is cleaning up its act, removing centuries of graffiti from the cathedral dome interior and letting new visitors leave their mark digitally instead. Photo: A woman uses a touchscreen to create digital graffiti. (AP: Claudio Giovannini) The cathedral launched a pilot project last year in its Giotto-designed bell tower to allow…

Read More

Hours after slamming media, WH bars CNN and other news outlets

Hours after slamming media, WH bars CNN and other news outlets

CNN and other news outlets were blocked on Friday from attending an off-camera White House press briefing that other reporters were hand-picked to attend, raising alarm among media organizations and First Amendment watchdogs. The decision struck veteran White House journalists as unprecedented in the modern era, and escalated tensions in the already fraught relationship between the Trump administration and the press. The New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, Politico and BuzzFeed were also among those excluded from the meeting, which was held in White House press secretary Sean Spicer’s…

Read More

Family’s concerns for missing boy

Family’s concerns for missing boy

THE father of a missing 13-year-old boy has made a public plea for him to come home. Che Rickard was last seen at 7pm on Sunday on the Scarborough foreshore with his father and a friend. They do not know where he went from there. Family, friends and police hold concerns for his safety. Che’s father, Shane, today appealed for anyone with information to come forward. “We just want him home with his family. We love him very much and we just want to know he is safe and well,…

Read More